Tuesday 15 January 2008

Cable; repeat.

Yea, I have finally had time to do some knitting lately! (Hmm... do I knit or do I read? Sorry, I can't do both like some people I've spoken to! At least, not yet!)

I can confidently say that I now know how to knit cables, thanks to Lion Brand's free "Learn to Cable Scarf" pattern. I will say that knitting from this pattern really is a good way to learn cables. If you haven't done cables before, you really have nothing to worry about! I couldn't believe how easy a technique it really is, and with such nice results.

Here is a show of my progress at the end of the third repeat:

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but this scarf has an unusually long agenda of 21 repeats (making it a monstrous 6' long). I'm about 1/3 of the way through the first of two balls of yarn. We'll see how long the allure of cables lasts with this pattern.

I have decided that my next cable project will be one with a reversible pattern (unless it's a sweater, of course). Although the back looks nicely patterned with knit and purl stitches, I would have liked cables there too. Ravelry lists a few nice ones that I've added to my ever-growing list of favourites...